Invisalign is the latest technique for making your teeth straight. It is an alternative to traditional metal braces. It is fabricated using a custom-made series of clear aligners that are created precisely for your teeth. The aligning trays are smooth, comfortable, and virtually invisible.
Similar to regular braces, Invisalign gradually moves your teeth into the correct place over some time. However, Invisalign is a much more attractive process for adults who don't want the stress of wearing braces or for the more image-conscious teenagers who are just beginning their orthodontic experience.
How does Invisalign work?
A set of Invisalign aligners is prepared based on your teeth' existing positions and the final result you want, with each separate aligner representing a step between the two. The aligners have to be worn for two weeks at a stretch and then switch to a newer aligner that will bring your teeth tighter until they are in the correct position. This process is much shorter than traditional braces because it only takes six to nine months to get the smile you have always wanted. This process eliminates the need to see the orthodontist every six weeks to tighten your braces, gets rid of the painful metal brackets that can tear your lips, and during this whole process, no one will be aware that you are getting your teeth straightened.
What are the advantages of the Invisalign procedure?
- Appearance: Most people do not want to wear metal braces because of their hideous appearance. The advantage of Invisalign aligners is that they are transparent and not easily noticeable. They look similar to the mouthpiece that your dentist uses when you have your teeth professionally whitened.
- Brushing and Flossing Are Easy: If you elect to fix your smile with braces, you have to be very extra careful when you brush and floss. It is also mandatory to brush around the brackets very carefully. If you don't brush well enough, there are chances of developing a decalcification on your teeth which can cause white spots to form on your teeth. If you choose the Invisalign braces, you can brush and floss normally. To clean the aligners, you should rinse them in warm water.
- No Restrictions on Food: With Invisalign braces, there will not be any restrictions on the foods you can consume.
- The Invisalign braces can be removed before indulging in your favorite foods and have them fitted back.
- Less Pain: When you first get fitted with the metal braces, it can be excruciating. The insides of your mouth skin can get scraped due to the brackets. Invisalign is dissimilar in that the aligners won't scrape the inside of your mouth at all. The only pain that most people experience with Invisalign is discomfort for the first few days after putting in a new aligner.
- Shorter Treatment Time: The time you need to wear braces would depend on your problem's severity. With the Invisalign system, on average, it takes about a year to complete the treatment.
How long does the Invisalign treatment take?
The regular treatment time for Invisalign is a year; however, each case is different depending on the problem and its severity. Most people are obligated to wear their aligners 20 to 22 hours each day. If you follow your dentist's instructions and you make it to your appointments every 4 to 6 weeks for progress checks, you should be able to stay on track with your dentist's original treatment plan.
Call us at Smile Fresh Dental Center or schedule an online appointment to know more about Invisalign.